- 2010 Conference Home
- Conference Schedule
- Foundation Auction
- Exhibitor Show Specials
- 2010 Week In Review
- 2009 Week In Review
- 20th Anniversary
- Contact Us
Phone: (859) 226-4326
Fax: (859) 226-4445
JAN D. FREITAG AND ANDREW GIBSON
Performance of Spas and Introduction to Spa STAR
Presented by: Jan D. Freitag and Andrew Gibson
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
The Spa STAR report is a benchmarking tool for all types of spas. This session will focus on how to interpret and apply the following outcomes of the Spa STAR report to your Spa:
- Understand the competitive landscape
- Understand current pricing trends
- Understand treatment and salon utlization trends
- Understand trends in the high end hotel spa industry
- Make better pricing decisions
- Understand the impact of discounting
- Understand how to analyze and use STR data
- Receive tips from spas using the Spa STAR report. Tips include:
- Why should we use the Spa STAR report
- The Relevance of benchmarking and data reports to hotels
- Adherence to the principal of "dyor" - do your own research
- Unique ways to use the Spa STAR report for hotel owners, general managers and colleagues
Mr. Jan Freitag (pronounced: "Fry-tog") is a Vice President - Global Development at Smith Travel Research (STR), the recognized leader in Lodging Industry benchmarking services. In his capacity Mr. Freitag is a frequent public speaker and is quoted in trade publications and the general news media such as The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Associated Press, Reuters, Forbes, etc. He also writes a monthly column for Lodging Magazine, the official magazine of the AH&LA.
At STR he oversees a variety of projects, all charged with the accumulation and interpretation of global lodging data. Prior to joining STR, Mr. Freitag was the Director of Content Integrity at hotelreports.com in upstate New York and a hospitality consultant with Ernst & Young in Phoenix. Mr. Freitag holds a Bachelor Degree, with distinction, from the School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University, and received his Executive MBA, with honors, from Vanderbilt University. Mr. Freitag resides in Nashville, TN.
Andrew Gibson is the Group Director of Spa for Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group, providing global support to the design, development and operation of Mandarin Oriental Spas.
Andrew has covered almost every part of the spa service industry. He has worked for a construction company specializing in building health facilities. He has raised money, conceptualized and built his own luxury resort spa. He has helped to establish Six Senses as a major spa trend and worked with Raison d'Etre to help leading hotels define their spa concept.
He holds a B.A. in Recreation Management and Environmental Conservation and sits on the board of Global Spa Summit and International SPA Association.